No Exit

Huis Clos - Jean Paul Sartre's existentialist play (No Exit) performed by the Angel Theatre Company was an electrifying experience. The intense examination of the human behaviours exhibited by the three figures in this exquisite dramatisation held me in suspense from the outset. I was immediately transported to a post-war sitting room by the loud ticking of a clock. The rich, damask covered chairs, the oriental patterned rug and curious statuette took me to another world which was both familiar yet otherworldly. I could instantly recall my paternal grandmother's sitting room and the drunken, insidious behaviours exhibited towards  me and my sibling. I was terrified of this woman. It was this terror which made such a strong connection with me and Sartre's transportive narrative. The characters have become inextricably involved with each other's stories and thus create a microcosm of Hell in which they are unitedly condemned. Their past actions are there for all to see in a perpetual mirroring of their selves (their essence) through the others they are now entombed with. 


Cast from the production of 'No Exit'
25th November 2017 at Barons Court Theatre
http://angeltheatrecompany.co.uk/current-productions/4589639083

Weirdly, the set design had incorporated the same wallpaper I am currently experimenting with for the display of my familial objects and prints. I am also considering including a patterned rug in my studio display to add to the feel of an interior setting. I have also been considering including an old fashioned chair which I would like to reupholster with my own printed textile fabrics. Ultimately, I want to create an installation that is pluralistic not only in the  representation and materials used but also in the layering of narratives embedded within the artworks. 

My interior display


Comments

Popular Posts