Speculative Works

Using feedback from the last group seminar and crit I am beginning to explore an autobiographical focus through varied speculative works. There is an aspect of my genealogy which fascinates me and will be the key thread within the body of work. Who was my maternal grandfather and how does this unknown character impact on my sense of identity? Was this man of a different ethnicity or creed? What is it about the character of this man prevented from being mentioned in any family documents? 

I have always been a shy (anxious), complex (quirky) and introverted (incommunicative) character and I wonder if these traits are common within my ancestors? The non-verbal communication emitted through old family photographs is a starting point to test ideas. Their features, poses and clothing provide useful clues for characters in my speculative works. 

The many sides (names) of Sara


Looking at photographs of me and producing quick sketches was a starting point for developing my sense of character. The shy school photograph and the awkward reticent adult sketch begin to describe my inner qualities through pose and gesture. Growing up I have assumed a number of identities to explore my character. As a small child I wanted to be known as Simon as I could identify more with male characters. My father called me Sal (Sally), I do not know why? My husband calls me Sophie as he prefers this name for me (it's a shared joke!). I am Sara with no 'h'. Not Sarah! I am also Jayne, (not plain, but with a 'y') because these are the names gifted to me by my parents and have also an ancestral link.

To test ideas and methods I produced a series of relief prints using the Columbus and Albion presses. The dark ink and graphite proofs provided an ambiguous ethnicity to the print character. The boss-eyed and hunched shoulders suggest a reticence and shyness. There is a value in these prints which intrigue me. The expressive cuts and gauges create interesting printed marks and have potential to be developed into further work.



The blind emboss relief print also creates an ambiguous and 'ghost' character. This technique produces a stylised printed mark. The rough cuts, block shapes and paper quality provide limited feature qualities but this can be utilised for character effects. The feeling of uncertainty this print image creates is heightened through basic and limiting hewn marks.


Blind emboss relief print





Comments

Popular Posts