Research Visit - Palermo, Sicily

The vibrant city of Palermo is steeped in cultural and historical wonder and is a place that inspires my soul. On this trip I specifically set my sights on observing the Opera dei Pupi and the Catacombe dei Cappuccini so I could gather first hand research for developing my figurative puppets. 

Traditional Sicilian Puppets - 'Opera dei Pupi'
The characterful Sicilian pupi reminded me of my childhood where I would spend many hours playing with my Pelham puppets. Of course my favourite being the skeleton puppet with its dancing, dislocating bones, providing me with hours of solitary amusement. The hanging, decapitated puppet heads displayed in shop fronts made a strong connection with me and provided me with further sources of material for the development of my puppets. 


Watercolour by Fabrice Moireau "Pupi Siciliani" 01/05/16
exhibited at  the Palazzo Reale, Palermo  21/10/17 - 08/01/18
'Nothing' puppet speculative work 2017
There is a strong relationship between the living and the dead for the citizens of Palermo and the Capuchin monastery is a place where thousands of dressed, mummified remains are displayed. The mummification process became a status symbol and was a way for the wealthy to 'preserve their status and dignity even in death'. Relatives would regularly visit the interred, paying the monks for the preservation of their loved ones. The mummies are arranged in distinct corridors in accordance to their profession, sex and social status. It is said that death is a great leveller, but here, the notion of value in terms of status is still strongly apparent. Although these chambers seem strange and macabre to some, it is fascinating to observe the historical clothing worn by the deceased and their distinct characters as they eternally reside in their individual niches. 
 
 
 In my work I am considering the development of simple torsos and limbs in addition to the sculptured puppet heads. The use of packing material such as sacking and scrim in the mummification process could be a material and process that I manipulate and utilise for my figures. In addition to this I will also consider my puppets' stances, perhaps employing the crossed arms and the tilt of the head  to strengthen character and narrative. 

Comments

Popular Posts